East Brent First School began in 1841 as a Church of England Foundation School.
It is a listed building of architectural and historic importance.
Bible passages, nationalist songs and poems were learned by rote. Gardening, woodwork and needlework were also part of the school work.
At times the children were hardly at school which closed 2 to 3 weeks for blackberry picking, a week for the Harvest Home and days off for Empire Day!
The school was frequently closed due to illness, insanitary conditions and bad weather.
The British School (now the Village Hall) was built in 1880 as an alternative to the 'Church' school.
In March 1902 there was very bad attendance as children were allowed to go stag hunting in the village.
On 2 Oct 1905, the cart bringing children from Rooksbridge re-commenced running after a stoppage of several weeks due to an accident to the pony.
Empire Day was celebrated on 23rd May 1913, the school closed in the afternoon. Children paraded with flags & sang “Flags of Britain”, “Rule Britannia”, “Auld Lang Syne”, “Killarney” and “Men of Harlech”. They then marched to the Vicarage for tea and then through village to a field for sports, donkey riding & games till dark.
In 1940, both schools accepted a number of evacuee children mostly from East London.
In 1948, the British School became East Brent County Infants School (ages 5 to 7 years) and the Church School became East Brent Church of England Voluntary Controlled Junior School (7 to 11 years).
The two schools amalgamated in 1973 and became East Brent Primary.
It was renamed East Brent Church of England First School in 1976.
It is now East Brent C of E First School (5-9 years).
Miss Claridge is a retired teacher and part of the village history group.
She teaches art and latin to our children on a weekly basis.
The history of our school is an ongoing research project.
With thanks to Miss Claridge